Finger shooter compound: dual or single cam(s) ?

Discussion in 'Finger Bows' started by md2020, Nov 5, 2018.

1. md2020

md2020 New Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    PSE Nova w/ Vector 4 Cams
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    Do you folks use single cam or dual cam bows? I tried the old style uni-cam bows from about 25+ yrs ago (Jennings) and it anchored to a hard stop, but I never shot it well. More modern bows are designed towards release shooters.

When I was in college (35+ yrs ago), I took a lot of squirrels and rabbits bare bow compound (no sights), but then started using a sight and have lost the ability to shoot instinctively now it seems! That is something I regret to this day …… I shoot recurve instinctive, but that isn't the same. I no longer hunt so I don't care about how flat something shoots, LOL. In the day, I never shoot over 25 yrs at game: more like 20 yards, unlike the stories of people telling me that they can take game out at 50+ yds with modern gear (that seems crazy far, but ….)

My shoulder isn't able to draw 60 lbs any more due to injury/age and so I will look for something in the 50 lb range. Short draw length (27.5"?) doesn't help either, LOL.

TIA

2. Christian Jensen

Christian Jensen New Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    Bear lst
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Hi
    I shoot a bear lst #45-60, dual cam and love it.

Attached Files:

3. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    People tell me newer designed bows shoot faster & flatter at 20 lbs less draw weight. Do you find that true?

The split limbs are so foreign to me. Problem is many shops don't stock lefty bows for me to even try.

4. Christian Jensen

Favorite Bow:
    Bear lst
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    I would not know. This is my first compound. Arent there a club nearby where you can see for yourself?

5. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    I found an vintage PSE Nova with Vector 4 cams. It is about 38" axle to axle in 50 lbs and backed limbs out 4 turns loser from the bottom: per tiny warning on limbs. Picked up a Wedge target on sale with some rewards points at local store. Dug through my ziplock bags of parts and threw on a rest, adjusted nock & proceeded to shoot with a tab. Wow, I'm struggling to draw & shoot .... not much concentration on aiming yet LOL. Im inside my cellar so I started real close. I'm wicked sore and not use to it but hopefully I can start slow and work up. Being mid 50s doesn't help, but thanks the site to spark my interests again.

Talking to guy at large store about technical new stuff is very intriguing. He was really into heavy weighed front arrows! Great to see peoples passion come out.

Christian Jensen likes this.
  6. Christian Jensen

Favorite Bow:
    Bear lst
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Any photos off your bow?

7. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    Nova V4 resized.JPG

Not familiar with posting pics at all and I had to resize it etc, LOL. Bow was around 1998-2000, so it is almost 20 yrs old. Owner let shop set it up and some things weren't correct so I adjusted it to what believe it should be. I need to change out the black surgical tubing on the peep before it breaks free and hits me in the eye. I don't even think I can really notice or see it to be honest. I may remove the sight and try to go back to bare bow, but it is there for reference at the moment.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  8. Christian Jensen

Favorite Bow:
    Bear lst
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Lookning good

9. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    Not familiar with posting pics at all and I had to resize it etc, LOL. Bow was around 1998-2000, so it is almost 20 yrs old. Owner let shop set it up and some things weren't correct so I adjusted it to what believe it should be. I need to change out the black surgical tubing on the peep before it breaks free and hits me in the eye. I don't even think I can really notice or see it to be honest. I may remove the sight and try to go back to bare bow, but it is there for reference at the moment.

10. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    Thanks CJ. :)

I got my bow on a scale in my cellar and with it backed out 4 turns I am still at about 46-47 lbs?! Which is still very painful for me to shoot. I'm glad I see my chiropractor a few times as week on a regular basis. :D I really need it lower - I'll try to contact PSE or ask a shop if I can go more than 4 revolutions from bottoming it out? It is sad when I am not able to shoot more than a couple of times for more than about 6 shots.:( I may have to use my 34 lb recurve and work my way back up.:oops:

11. Christian Jensen

Favorite Bow:
    Bear lst
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Cant you just use screws that are a bit longer? You should be able to drop some weight that way...

12. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    I called PSE and it comes down to a liability issue: potentially one can tear out the threads and run into some damage to the shooter! I asked if they had longer limb bolts for sale, but they did not. I don't own a press to take it a part and try to find some limb bolts, but it also has to do with the limbs sitting in the plastic pockets correctly as well. ;)

PSE tech said it was odd that I was at 46 lbs after 4 turns from the bottom - he was thinking may be some one put 60 lbs limbs and not 50 lb limbs on my bow, but the label on it says 50. I can try to tighten it back up and see what the weight is. Not clue how accurate or off my scale is either. It's one of the ones you buy if you want to weigh a deer.

Thanks, CJ, I thought of the same exact thing. This gives me something to do while I am on vacation aside from scoring the web for stuff I don't need. :eek:

Have a good Thanksgiving everyone and be safe. Peace to you all.

13. md2020

Favorite Bow:
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    After bottom out the limbs and putting it on the scale, I am getting about 58 lbs on a 50 lb bow. :eek: When I crank it out four revolutions out I am getting about 46 lbs which is the lowest I can go according to PSE tech services.:( Some how my 50 lb bow has higher poundage limbs on it that what the sticker says ….. my kind of luck.o_O I did shoot my super old 40 lb (60") recurve for a few shots ….. odd feeling to draw a recurve and kneel to shoot inside. I have an 20 lb recurve (60") that needs a rest - it is an super old Bear that can be shoot right or lefty (kind of light minty green color to the limbs) - that should be cool, too. :cool:

Bow is officially from 2000 and is a Nova V4. If I get a chance, I'll go to a local shop after hunting season and see what is possible or if anything is possible.