Broadheads

Discussion in 'Bowhunting with Fingers' started by Ozzy, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Ozzy

Ozzy Moderator Staff Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    Hoyt Tribute
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Hey Everybody,

I know deer season is still a ways away, but I was curious on what broadheads everyone was using. On my traditional bows, I use Zwickey Deltas at 135 grains. Was thinking about putting them on some adapters and running with those on my compound this coming season.
    What do you all run with?
    Do you prefer two blades? or three or four blades?

2. md2020

md2020 New Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    PSE Nova w/ Vector 4 Cams
    Aiming Method:
    It Depends!
    My buddy always swore by three bladed Thunderheads - he's take hundreds of deer by now in CT. I used the old style Bear 4 blade broadhead on small game when I use to hunt. Last broadheads I got where the Zwickey Eskimos 2 blades, but I never really got to try them out. You basically have to get some and try them in different configurations and test fly them over distances - I do recall some old style 4 bladed Satellites (purple body) that if I had the blades perpendicular to the ground that would PLANE something crazy !!! The 4 bladed Muzzy's (100 gr) that I used flew the closes to my broadheads: I like that they sold practice insert blades that you could put on. Of courses I have never taken a deer with my bow. but hundreds of squirrels and few dozen rabbits when I use to hunt when I was in college many many moons ago.:D Those new style broad heads that stay closed and open later on impact weren't allowed yet in my local area. Having seen broadheads go straight through a rabbits head and having me thing I missed it is an odd sight! I retrieved my arrow and he picked up the rabbit and when we looked closer we figured out the stuff on the shaft was the bunnies brains. Sorry for the gross details. My buddy double lunged plenty of deer !! That was with mid 1980s bow technology, too.