Back on board and have a rest question.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Si Korte, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Si Korte

Si Korte New Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    Long bows I make
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Just got the notice of the site being active again so looking for input on rests for my Oneida Black Eagle. Last year I spooked a nice 10- point because my arrow fell off my spring rest so this year I am trying different rests with full capture to shoot instinctively. Been looking at the new Saunders rest. Thanks

2. benmmc

benmmc Administrator Staff Member Founding Member

Favorite Bow:
    Martin Scepter V
    Aiming Method:
    Without Sights
    Awesome! Are you talking about this one? I personally find rests like these obtrusive when looking at the target. I tried a whisker biscuit a long time ago, but realized it was just too much in the way.

I too have had my arrow fall off the rest in a hunting situation, and it's frustrating, but now I guess I'm just used to keeping a bit of tilt when an arrow is on.

I did use a Ripcord Code Red (fall away rest) on a Bear Carnage shot with fingers for a while and it seemed fine. But theoretically, with a finger release it's better for the arrow to have something to rest against on the side of the riser after your fingers release the arrow. I'm not convinced of this, though, unless someone has some hard evidence of it. I eventually got rid of the fall away though because I personally don't like the extra bit of mechanics that could possibly fail.

I currently use the Cavalier Free Flight Micro, but if I did want a more "secure" rest nowadays, I think I'd go for something like the BoDoodle which has three fins to keep the arrow in.